UTGST FULL FORM
UTGST full form is Union Territory Goods and Services Tax. It is the GST applicable on the goods and services supply that takes place in the union territories of India. Union Territory GST will be charged in addition to the Central GST (CGST).
GST under supply of goods and services takes place in Union Territories like Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Chandigarh, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Daman and Diu, Delhi (National Capital Territory of Delhi), Lakshadweep, Puducherry, Ladhakh, Jammu and Kashmir etc. is accounted under UTGST.
Union Territory GST contains same tax rates of 0%, 5%, 12%, 18% and 28%. Tax exemption criteria for goods and services decided by the government for SGST will be same for UTGST.
FEATURES OF UTGST
1.Introduction: The Union Territory Goods & Services Tax Bill, 2017 was introduced in Lok Sabha on March 27, 2017. The Bill provides for the levy of the Union Territory Goods and Services Tax(UGST).
2. Levy of UTGST: The centre will levy UTGST on the supply of goods and services within the boundary of a Union territory.
3. Tax Rates: The tax rates of UTGST will be recommended by the GST Council and will not exceed 20%.
4. Exemptions from UTGST: The centre may exempt certain goods and services from the purview of UGST through notification based on recommendations of the GST Council.
5. Assistance to search, seizure and arrest: All officers of Police, Railways, Customs, and those officers engaged in the collection of land revenue, including village officers, and officers of Central tax will assist the tax administrative officers in the implementation of this Act.
6. Applicability of provisions of Central Goods and Services Tax Act 2017: Several provisions of the Central Goods and Services Tax Act, 2017 apply to this Act. Such provisions include
(a) time and value of supply
(b) composition levy
(e) payment of tax
(i) search and seizure
(j) advancing ruling
(k) appeals and offenses
7. Transition to the new regime: Taxpayers with unutilised input credit obtained under the current laws may utilize it under GST.
JOIN THE CHANNEL ON TELEGRAM
CONNECT ON LINKEDIN